Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tucson Mountain Park lures you in...YES!

The trails of the Sonoran Desert lure you in, hold you captive, and make you grateful that you came.  Nothing is more tempting to me than a clear view of a trail.  Where does it go?  What will I experience?  But I was distracted by the litter at the beginning of this trail.  True to my Mom's training, I have my own grabber (blue) to aid my compulsion to pick up garbage, especially cigarette butts and anything plastic.  Bob takes this as odd behavior, and he took the following pictures...to prove I'm wacky.  Does anyone else do this?

Ewwww... more butts.  Notice that by now the trail is forgotten...and I deposit the trash in our RV's basura.
Every mountain has Saguaro growing to its top!  The fuzzy cacti are Buckhorn Cholla, and I already had spine wounds and fine needles still paining my hands from a fall 2 days ago.  I didn't know these tricks for removal (click here) and threw away the needle-infested gloves I'd been wearing when I fell, and I wished I could throw away the pierced flesh of my hands as well.  But it's incredibly beautiful in the park.  We were excited now to find Gilbert Ray Campground.  Click here to see an excellent description (with photos) of this premium camp.  Volunteer jobs are for 3 month stints, but there were no openings...in case you were looking. 
The campground has one trail, so I happily followed it to Rattlesnake Trail, which I decided to cross because I saw Old Tucson Studios in the distance.  I knew John Wayne movies had been filmed here, so I let myself get curious.  The bright paint and kiddie rides betrayed my expectations, but it's still a fun, fun place.
On the way back to camp I got to celebrate the beauty of the area by raising my own arms with so many others in praising God's creation.  What an evocative area for the imagination and the spirit!  It certainly resonated with my eternal nature.

I found an ad posted in the bathroom of the educational group site for a walk on the Brown Mountain Trail.  I watched a film on YouTube of a crazed biker riding down this mountain trail, with hairpin turns and huge sharp shards or rock flipping up as the bike bounced over them.  But the crazy part to me would be the risk of falling into that cacti and being injected with the tiny, fine spines called glochidia. The glochidia are the most difficult cactus needles to see and remove, and will cause dermatitis if left in the skin.  (I should know.)  I took a chance the 9 o'clock walk was on and rode my bike to the trailhead in the chill of the desert morning.
Parks and Recreation Volunteer Naturalists Ed Bartlett and John Scheuring were prepared and ready to take a mob into the desert for a fabulous learning experience.  We waited together as exactly not one other person showed up.  I was not surprised, and let my new friends know they could cancel the walk...but I had a few questions about the crazy cacti I'd met on my own walk.  Ed graciously said he'd take me on the walk.  Later he said I had so many questions that the walk had taken twice as long as it usually did....but, boy, did I learn a lot!  Again my theory was verified...you learn so much more and retain it much better if you experience your learning.  Nevertheless, I was presented a gorgeous book at the conclusion of the walk to help me retain the excellent instruction I had just received.  Ed deserves the Volunteer of the Year Award!
Buckhorn Cholla standing in a Row with Rhyolite Peaks in the background.
Every Saguaro has its Story

Why grow arms at all?  So many seem tortured by the elements.  More arms equals more surface area for photosynthesis plus more places to grow flowers.  Each fruit may have 2,000 seeds!  If the Saguaro cannot reproduce itself (at least once) in its lifetime, it has failed...and that may be after putting out 40 million seeds!  Saguaro babies can grow to be as tall as I am in 35 years...if conditions are ideal.  Usually it takes 47 to 67 years to reach my height.  Adult weights are in the tons. 
 
Read more: How to Remove Cactus Prickles | eHow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post....or send comments/questions directly to us at camphost.White@gmail.com